Sunday, September 05, 2010

Trail Run

I decided to do a 4th day of running this week in preparation of my new program on Tuesday. I figured I would try a nice trail run. It was interesting. My legs in general felt really good. The run was peaceful and enjoyable. I however could not do a full 30 minutes. I got to 15 minutes and my chest was sore and I was breathing too hard. I decided to take a break and walked for five minutes. I then finished up the final ten. I am not sure why I did not do the full 30 run.

I think there are a few reasons. First off the hills. I am not used to hills. It really killed me. I also think part of it might have been the fact that it was not an "official" run. Not part of a program. All during the program I would not quit. Ever. So perhaps I had less motivation to never stop.

All in all I am good with it though. I enjoyed the running and walking and I am sure I got a good workout. I will do some more of these runs for sure.

4 Comments:

Blogger DrChako said...

I had a great run today, too. Strangely, I thought of you. Needed a beer to shake the thought.

Seriously - keep it up. I will be 165 when we meet in Vegas. You?

-DrC

12:14 PM

 
Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

I honestly have no idea. I am really not losing weight. I lost like 8 early but nothing since. So still at 176. It's kinda nuts.

12:20 PM

 
Blogger Mike G said...

Good job on your running progress. Keep in mind that by working out more and raising your metabolism you will be burning more calories even during the restful parts of your day, which is sort of like a rakeback bonus.

If you are adding muscle mass you will probably not lose weight net but you will be healthier.

A run I like to do at a track is two warm up laps, then 8 400m laps alternating one hard one easy, then two easy warm down laps for a total distance of 12 laps 3 miles or a 5k. By "hard" I mean you're breathing hard by the end of the lap and hurting a little. Then you rest on the easy "jog" lap and go again. These interval speed workouts end up making your slower long run pace seem easier. One a week would be ideal.

Keep up the good work and good luck on your journey.

12:38 PM

 
Blogger Shelly said...

I love trail running. That's how I do most of my runs (though some trails are easier than others).

Once I finished C25K, I decided that I'm going to be one of those run/walk-ers, like John Bingham. At least for now, I take a water/walk break after every mile (unless I'm on the treadmill - then I usually just do the whole 3 miles straight through, but treadmills are way easier than running outside, if you can stand the boredom). Walk 30 seconds to a minute, then run the next mile. Rinse repeat. It doesn't really affect my overall times much. Lap pace slowed by a few seconds. No biggie. And I feel like I can go longer with those couple breaks. No shame in it!

7:51 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home