Thursday, December 11, 2008

What's the point..

Seriously I come to this place often but what is the point in poker for the majority of people. I mean if your a crazy maniac who is back from his sabbatical and can win and lose houses in the course of a month then I can see a point. Even the donks that win some big MTT games then give it all back until their next big win.. I can kind of see how taking down ten or twenty gees in a night could be fun. I can totally see the point for people minting money. What is the point for normal people though. Us average people who play a night. Who have successful day jobs.

I mean seriously. I talk to a lot of you. I listen to your blogs. I see it over and over. You win some money. You give a bunch back on a downturn. Then you get back to even maybe.. or you downspin a little. Always hanging in there like a drowning puppy but never really getting anywhere.

I dunno. I just do not see the point in poker.

9 Comments:

Blogger DuggleBogey said...

What's the point of living really? You're just going to die anyway. So why even try to achieve something?

10:57 AM

 
Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

I agree!

11:31 AM

 
Blogger Katitude said...

coz it's fun?

11:38 AM

 
Blogger KajaPoker said...

Unless you are a pro who makes a living from it, poker is just a way to pass the time.

Sure, there's always that elusive big score that might come your way, but it's mostly about paying for entertainment. Just like going to Vegas. Why do you bother sitting at a -EV table game? Because of the entertainment value (on some level). Hanging out with a bunch of drunk friends.

Don't expect it to be much more than that. You could psychoanalyze it to death of course and claim that it's a way for your inner-degenerate to be able to self-destruct or something fancy like that, but mostly it's a way for bored people to pass their boring lives away.

12:02 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Make maney...

12:48 PM

 
Blogger Alan aka RecessRampage said...

I totally disagree with kaja. If I didn't make money playing poker, I'd quit in a heartbeat cuz I got better things to do than staring into a computer screen. For me, it's just additional spending money in the hopes that I can get to a point where I am comfortably making decent money. I realized that I don't have enough gamble in me to not have the security of a job. But I don't want to grind it out only in corporate either. We're all trying to move up the ladder right? At least I am and poker is just another tool for me.

12:57 PM

 
Blogger ScottMcM said...

for fucks sake will you please eat a dick and shut up. You are an addict and will always play cards regardless of outcome and you know it. stop focusing on the wins and loses and just play you mongoloid.

Now that I am back I look forward to kicking your teeth in like I have for 3 years. You pick the game and the stakes and buzz me when it is time.

I am your great white whale

4:40 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poker is a hobby. That's it. Like most hobbies it costs a little. Sometimes you get a little back. If your lucky, you break even and you entertainment was free.

That's it, at least for me.

6:02 AM

 
Blogger Gnome said...

I can't speak for the majority of people, but I believe a lot of poker players are driven by the competition to win when there's hard-earned money on the line.
Players like to win. Those wins don't happen all the time, but they keep us going when they do.
Btw, thanks for the props, but I don't think I'm good enough to claim I'm minting money. I manage to come out ahead most of the time, and those wins slowly add up.

10:33 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home