Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Up a buck.. and some O8 profit too..

Well.. Had fun again last night. The Blogger table decided to switch to O8 after I doubled up on someone with a read. Please feel free to berate me on this one too, but I think I made the right move. I am dealt QQ. Nice hand. Love them Hilton's. I come out shooting with a $3 raise. Sounds like my hand with Felicia! I get raised to $5 by a guy who I had very little read on. The flop is a scary ass 8K3. The K is normally a mucking hand. I decide to bet into it to see if he has the K. I bet three bucks and he pauses and then calls. Now one of two things has just happened here. Either I am way behind and he is slow playing something like AK or I am WAY ahead. Next card is a 3. I check and he decides to bet three bucks into me. I have decided he probably does not have the K. As you have noticed my NL skills are sometimes lacking, but once I latch onto an idea it is hard to change my mind. The river is another three. I check. He bet's nine dollars! Now I have a decision to make. I ask him politely:

SirFWALGMan: hmm
SirFWALGMan: got AA?

No response. I let the timer run down to about three seconds left and make the decision to call him. This read is as founded in fact as Felicia's read, however from his betting pattern (no strength until I showed a little weakness) I did not put him on AA or AK. He could have been slow playing me. We both turn over and it is The Hilton Sisters One - 99 Zero! Nice $39.20 profit. Bad play? I am not sure. It was very exciting though.

The Bloggers (I.E. Mostly Pauly) shortly after decide to break the table and play some .50/1 O8. I happily agree. I played alright. I noticed several hands where I should have mucked and did not. I also had several good hands beaten on the river or ruined on the flop. I was playing with -EV, Studio Glyphic, Pauly, and the Canadian from Bullets in the Hole (See Blogroll for his site. He needs to update more often! His Sister too!). I have not had much success playing O8 yet but it has been fun and an learning experience. I made about .94 cents last night which was good enough for me. I ended the night up +1 dollar. I tried to find Felicia to watch us play but she was not around. Hopefully I can have some success at the O8 table. I am enjoying the new game, but it definatly has been anything but +EV. The suckouts abound too! It is fun to watch people drawing to the 3rd best low on the river and have to fold however. Pauly and -EV did really well! Jack bailed on us after winning a few bucks! Where did you go Pauly! There better have been a chick, hot fudge, and whip cream involved, probably two chicks.

I would have done better however in an earlier 25/NL with Bloggers I mistakenly thought I had a straight K-10-10-J-Q. I saw the flop. Got to call the turn cheap. I was thinking an Ace or 10 gave me a straight. However I was wrong. The guy called my all in bet and one buyin down REAL fast. I blame my headache as I think I played better when I came back from a nap.

One other thing: Sean, Please keep picking agaist the Pats! They do better when you do! There goes all hope of Home Field Advantage! Damn it! What were they thinking. Oh well, we will have to see how the season works out. I for one am dissapointed that they lost twice. How dare they! I REALLY want an Eagles / Pats Superbowl for Christmas but it is looking a little bleak on both fronts. How the heck did you hurt yourself TO! Damn it man!



5 Comments:

Blogger Andres Silva said...

Based on what you described of the hand, I don't think you played it agressively enough. Obviously all I have to go on is your description but I got the feeling from the way you described his delay in calling the flop that you were way ahead. The turn was a little scary because that pause could have meant holding bottom pair and he just made a set but his bet on the turn makes it seem more like he just got his second pair. I'm thinking that in his shoes if I had hit my set I would have tried to trap you on the river by checking the turn after a hesitant flop call. Which brings us to the river, you both housed but he had a weaker hand (using the deduction that he was behind at the flop and the turn) and instead of calling the river I would have shoved.

6:21 AM

 
Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

Good point. I have been trying to get more into the mode of "I have the best hand, I shall raise" or fold. The problem with this whole hand is I was so not sure, and I was like 3 seconds away from mucking and seriously considering it. I finally decided to call it because I thought I was ahead. Of course I thought I was ahead with Felicia too.. so hard to verify your reads. It must be a little easier live.

6:56 AM

 
Blogger Pauly said...

Great call with the Hiltons. I put you on AK on that hand. I had to get some writing done last night... today I'm spending the afternoon Christmas shopping with the woman.

8:37 AM

 
Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

I would have put me on AK too, so how the hell does 99 call? I almost bought the fact that he had it with the pre-flop re-raise. He sold it a little too well.. too bad I was too stupid to buy it. heh.

10:30 AM

 
Blogger StudioGlyphic said...

Even if he put you on AK, your 1/3 pot bet could have been weakness or pot-building. Your turn check seemed to indicate weakness, so he probably thought he might be good.

I hate playing queens against a board with a K, but I usually play the flop with them the same way I would with AK and try to figure out what's happening with the other guy's hand.

10:41 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home