Thursday, January 11, 2007

Different Styles

I have been noticing different styles of play lately and I while I think they each can have their own merrits I prefer one type myself.

Number Crunchers
These are the guys who do not even bother figuring out what the opponent has. They could care less. They assign a likely value to their hand being ahead of a typical hand for a guy with a VP$IP of X and a post flop aggression of Y and go with it. If they are wrong well wait for the next hand.

Nut Peddlers
These guys are the pseudo-bots. The guys who play 19 tables at once and wait until they hit the nuts. They will never push in with less than the nuts. They will never try to outplay you. All they do is multi-table and in that brief fifteen second flash they check if they have flopped a boat or not and push or fold.

Nut Jobs
The Nut Jobs are easy to spot. They are the guys getting into every hand. Raising every hand. Just trying to bluff people off of every single hand. They wrongly assume that aggression alone will win the day. Once they get stacked two or three times they usually slink off and go home. Everyone at the table sheds a tear.

Players
These are the guys who actually pay attention. They look at each opponent as a unique individual and narrow down the hands that person would play and how they would play each situation. These guys can tell you what your cards are before you turn them over. Normally they are dead on. It can be down right scary.

I think many types of players can succeed in this game. Different styles work because most people suck really bad at poker. I know which style I am trying to be which style do you want to be?

12 Comments:

Blogger CC said...

Weak/Tight Donkey: combining two great styles; folds to any aggression, unless Waffles has a hand, then either shove with KJo on a resteal to crack aces or flop two pair to take down his kings. Runner-runner flushes or counterfeited hands also fall in this category. I'm a long ways from being a perfect weak/tight donkey, but one can dream...

10:52 AM

 
Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

I would never call you weak tight CC, more like, stupid aggressive. Good thing you play LHE and can not lose much in any one hand.

11:11 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I want to be a player with a little bit of maniac thrown in so I"m not predictable. Unfortunately I'm a player with a little bit of nut peddler thrown in.

11:31 AM

 
Blogger CarmenSinCity said...

I think we all know who I am. Ugh - soooo predictable.

11:54 AM

 
Blogger Klopzi said...

You separate out the number crunchers from the players, yet I'd argue that they play quite similarly.

"Players" vary their play based on who's in the hand, table conditions, etc.; Number crunchers do the same.

The difference is that number crunchers are always aware of why they are taking specific actions whereas players dismiss their actions as intuition or reading skills.

Players would attribute a big win by going with their gut and feeling that things would work out; number crunchers simply state that the hand could not have ended any other way.

I feel that players are just a select subset of number crunchers who've managed to internalize the various theorems and formulas necessary to succeed at, what is ultimately, a complicated mathematical equation.

Good luck at the $200NL tables, by the way. With only 10 buy-ins to lose, I'd recommend becoming a number cruncher: "players" have a way of blowing bankrolls on blogger games and blackjack...

1:18 PM

 
Blogger Fuel55 said...

You forgot weak tights and luckboxes.

1:20 PM

 
Blogger CJ said...

I suppose it's easy to lump me into a "luckbox" category, but that's too easy.

Which category would I fall into?

1:44 PM

 
Blogger mookie99 said...

What about weak-tight un-luckboxes ?

Thanks for playing last night.

1:50 PM

 
Blogger smokkee said...

i'm definitely a nut puddler. i only raise with the nutz and don't ever forget it.

11:41 AM

 
Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

I'll go with donkey for me. At least for cash game purposes.

1:23 PM

 
Blogger Wes said...

I'm fairly certain a "number cruncher" can easily be a very lazy "player".

11:25 PM

 
Blogger Mondogarage said...

How about weak donkeys with tightass tendencies?

9:53 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home