Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Hacked Day Two

I may have to go back to playing poker.

I talked to an account manager yesterday and they said there is no voice line for compromised accounts. You can not call and talk to someone even if you want to. There also is no clear place to email for this issue. I was told two places to email about my compromised World of Warcraft account and have only received one email in response asking for additional information. Hopefully this will get things moving.

On a side note it is kind of funny that I have to deal with a support person named Nefearius or something. Probably some faggot dwarf butt fucking Warlock or something. I mean I enjoy the immersive aspect of Warcraft but when my account gets hacked I want to talk to a fucking person not some pimply faced geek hiding behind his GM account. Fucktards.

I was disappointed to be told it could take 2 weeks to a month or more to get things settled. We will have to see how quickly it really gets resolved. Meanwhile I have no access to my account and yet they continue to bill me. Yay! So I asked if I would be billed for the time I lost on my account and they said "sure why not, It is your own fault your account got compromised". They then said I downloaded a bad add-on that stole my data or something. Now I will not dispute this yet however I mentioned that I only download from Blizzard approved sites. I was then told that Blizzard does not approve any Add-on. I could have sworn there was a Blizzard page that had approved add-on's and where to download them. I can not find it right now though. However providing a whole way to modify the gaming system then saying its your own fault for using it is pretty fucked up.

So anyway I took some of the suggestions here. I ran three scanners against my entire system. McAffee which I have running all the time. Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad Aware. Neither one picked up any generic loggers. I also checked running processes and did not see anything weird. I fired up WoW and saw no weird processes added to my list.

The final step I will be taking is to remove all Add-on's and reinstall them. You really will not be allowed to raid with people without a minimum of Ogre and Vent. So not having any add-on's is not an option. If Blizzard says it is then they are fucking crazy. I would like to see them get invited to raid Kara without Ogre. Fucking pull aggro off the tank all the time and see how fast you get booted.

I am not sure what else I should try to look for. I am pretty sure there is no keylogger. Not 100 percent but I used the top removal tools available and they found nothing. I also have a firewall that blocks incoming traffic. So I am left with brute force hack against the WoW servers or I fucked up somewhere and somehow gave out my password. All of this is very strange.

As someone who takes security seriously and knows a little about it I am baffled and a little obsessed to figure out what the fuck went wrong. Ah well. I will keep you posted and let you know if Blizzard does right by me. If not there is always Warhammer.

8 Comments:

Blogger DubsPoke said...

bah, now I remember the details on how mine got hacked.

They are right. It's an addon. I'll try to find my original emails from when it happened to me when I get home to help you out.

All add-ons are 3rd party distributions and Blizzard does not put a stamp of approval on them (although they steal the addon's ideas all the time, especially when it comes to interface.

Anyways, many of the popular add-on sites claim that they scan all the code in their addons for possible hacking attempts, yet some still get through. In my scenario, the site's FTP server got stealth-hacked and embedded all files on the server with the keylogger code. What happens is the add-on loads at the start and captures your login/pass and then sends it out while you run the game.

Delete all add-ons, then be very careful about what you put back on. I ran very minimally after I got hacked and didn't have any furhter troubles.

Good luck. I'll try to forward those emails if I find them.

9:42 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crappy dude. As an old EverQuest addict I can feel your pain.

I hope it all gets resolved soon.

9:43 AM

 
Blogger jasper6294 said...

Also try Panda's online scan. I've found that it sometimes finds crap that Mcafee, SpyBot, and AdAware don't.

10:04 AM

 
Blogger DuggleBogey said...

I run Kara with my guild and I can manage to control my aggro without an add-on. If I get aggro from the tank the solution for the members is easy...let me die. I have Feign Death and it works occasionally so it's not really as big of a deal for hunters.

You can play without add-ons, and I don't include Ventrilo since it's a totally separate application not a WoW add-on. Guys used to use Vent back when I played Counterstrike.

But I still don't use Vent, much to the aggravation of my guild.

I prefer to use the game as the developers intended. If you're using a hack, you're not good enough to do it yourself.

But that's me, I play the game for my own enjoyment. Other people can play for whatever they want.

10:25 AM

 
Blogger VinNay said...

Y not just buy a new character on craigslist or ebay? With your break even poker mojo going, you can afford to just reload on WoW now.

3:37 PM

 
Blogger MHG said...

Now, I may be going out on a limb, and no offense intended, but have you interrogated your dual-boxing offspring? Could there be a chance he got tricked into giving out the info?

Plenty of people in the guild I'm in get hacked and most have gotten their accounts back (although a good friend was S.O.L. because he bought the account and was not the original owner).

I suggest buying a new account and playing on my realm. When you get your old account back, just sell it!

5:40 PM

 
Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

He is not allowed to know the password.

7:17 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Is the password : "dreamincknekkid" ?

Too obvious a password Waffles. Try something easier... like "WorstPokerPlayerthatCantbeatljEver"

8:55 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home