Monday, June 19, 2006

o anyway.. I was in the hole for a few bucks and getting frustrated when I saw 23o. Woo hoo! I call a raise in MP

Since my Bankroll is declining instead of ascending

Hmm, couldn't be a coincidence could it?
- Sweet little Wes

I could make a snide remark but until I make 12K I can not back it up. I have actually not played alot of cash games lately so your comment is totally wrong.. and if getting your money in with QQ vs A9 on a 9xx flop is playing poorly then so be it, I suck. Also if bluffing when you sense weakness is not part of the game so be it.

To explain my recent hands. I have posted some interesting hands lately and always argued the odd or different side. I have not really lost my mind people. The problem I have with Poker, especially with people who pay attention, is that I NEVER get any action unless I am 6-feet under beat. I play tighter than anyone who reads this blog, I guarentee it. I routinely fold AQ. Really. Even if it is only a small raise. So being such a tightass I wanted to ask myself two questions:

1. What kinds of hands do I get nailed on and
2. How do I generate more action since everytime I raise (all 3 times in 4 hours at a table) my AA everyone folds.

The first question is interesting and is why small connectors tend to pay off if they hit. Nobody expects you to call with these hands. At least at the level I play. If you play them all the time you obviously lose money but throwing them in once in a while can make your night. Really cash game poker is all about getting paid off maybe once a night. Nothing I have seen so far makes me beleive that playing these cards on occassion is a bad thing.

The second question is harder to answer and needs more exploration. Part of the answer could be playing more hands that are strong and raising more often. I have for sure put more pre-flop aggression into my game. Figuring out how to generate action on a slow table is hard though. So I experiment. I bluff and show sometimes. I hit weird hands with weird cards and make people angry. Sometimes I raise more often then prudent. It is really tough to figure out what works, but at least I feel like I am experimenting with my game and trying to find something that works better for me. If it causes people to doubt my sanity, well, I never really had much ground to stand on there anyways. I appreciate the insightful comments, especially from people like CJ, even though I argue with him I listen and absorb everything a successful player says and try and figure out where it works in my game. I really do feel like this is going to be a great year for me. Only time tells anything in Poker though so we will see.

4 Comments:

Blogger ScottMcM said...

OMG stop the fucking presses, SirF and I agree on something :) maybe you are not the donkey I think you are :)

My cash game play is much loser than tournament play for sure. NL games are even looser that limit games as well.

I tend to play the table and not the hands. If I am seeing lots of people calling preflop and not raising I tend to be very very loose with almost any 2 cards that look like they could be something. This gives me a lot of options after the flop and also helps when I do have a monster hand because ppl at the table only remember the 64 I played into them.

Of course what do I know.

2:15 PM

 
Blogger Eric a.k.a. Bone Daddy said...

While I might make a comment now and then in jest, I think you are pure genius. I agree with your logic that small connectors pay alot when they hit since every fucking moron is playing their 2 painted cards, and betting hard when they miss. It is you that opened my eyes to this, and my bankroll has turned in the correct direction every since.

So thanks, and I owe you one.

4:24 PM

 
Blogger Wes said...

Waffles, I guess I'm wrong. I should have realized a long time ago while moving up in limits that to win, you have to be able to play every hand from every position. I must really suck if I can't make 32o a profitable hand.

6:07 PM

 
Blogger Alan said...

How do I generate more action since everytime I raise (all 3 times in 4 hours at a table) my AA everyone folds.

The more often you raise, the more action you will get on your raises. If people are folding to your raises with AA then raise with your weak hands and steal the blinds. DO NOT FLASH THESE HANDS. You want people to call you because you are raising more often -- not because you bluff often. If you tell them what you raise with then you will make it easier for them to read you. Sometimes these garbage hands will hit hard and they can pay off very nicely. Winning with one of these hands can put the entire table on tilt. I had a player yeall at me and leave the table two hands after I won a four player showdown with my 52o that hit a 5 on the river.

Learn to throttle your raises so that you get people calling at the rate you want them to call. Recently I have been almost always raising the same amount when I raise. If I am getting action, I raise with high cards hoping to get someone into a dominated position or hit a broadway straight.

I raise more if I have several limpers ahead of me and I want to limit the field. I will also reraise if too many people are calling a small raise ahead of me. Usually this just results in winning preflop, but that is better than losing to someone flopping two pair.

Look for cheap hands to lose. If people see that you stay in hands with weak holdings sometimes they will be more likely to play their weak holdings against you.

9:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home