Thursday, April 06, 2006

I will Play and Represent

A lot of things going on lately and most of them are pretty good on the poker front. I have decided to play in the 1M this Sunday. I figure when BadBlood says “You not all that bad kind of at MTTs” then it is a ringing endorsement and I have to try and take it down!

Speaking of endorsements and things of that ilk I think my head has been getting more swollen than usual. It is hard to be a good humble doobie when you have groupies. It is tough when you win a bunch of contests in a row. It is so hard when people you respect give you props. It gets to be soooo difficult when you kick Gavins ass! You know I took you down boy (I crack myself up)! However it is important to try and keep it real. I have been getting a little obnoxious to the players who are learning out there. So if I called you a Donkey, Fish, Tourist, Idiot, CB, Luckbox, Moron, Fucktard, or any other unmentionable names then I apologize. I was there once and while I would hope I have graduated from donkey to somewhat-decent-when-he-plays-his-A-game I still have a long way to go. I encourage you peeps who do not seem to be able to win.. or always seem to get your money in with the worse hand.. just keep practicing. Take advice from people you respect. Read. Read. Read. Such little things in your game can open your eyes so wide and cause you to jump to that next level. You can become a winning player for sure. I will do my best not to berate you while you are trying.

I am a little tired too of how people say the MTT is all or mostly luck. I think if that were the case nobody would win consistently. All of poker is about luck including MTTs. Each facet of the game be it LHE, NLHE, MTT, SNG, etc, etc.. has a learning curve and has different kinds of skills involved. So for someone to make a blanket statement that MTTs are just luck I think is misinformed. I might have this opinion since I play smaller MTTs and cash fairly regularly. I also ITM a lot in larger field tourneys. I guess I might play a lower risk-lower luck MTT game, and I may find it hard to hit the big money in a large field tourney but its working for now. Just some thoughts.

6 Comments:

Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Waffles, I too laugh at anyone who says MTTs are mostly luck. That is just the people who don't know how to cash in these things, or at least how to cash consistently. To people like you and me, we know that, while luck is CLEARLY involved and can knock you out or vault you to the top of the leaderboard at any point in a tourney, it is still the case that if you play a smart game, one geared for the MTT style, don't get crazy early on, and know how to ramp up the aggression as the blinds move higher later in the tournament, it is actually very attainable to be a consistent MTT casher. Even in the largest tournaments -- I feel like if I had to, I could probably cash in 6 or 7 out of 10 events, even the 2000+ player kinds.

Congrats again on your recent MTT success. You're one of the few guys out there who I think consistently performs well in these things and who I think has the same general strategy that I use to do well over time.

2:30 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To be a big tournament player that makes a significant amount of money, you need to defy the odds.

Someone could be a great tournament player, but not have success for a long time.

Hoyazo, the problem with your style is that you're less likely to win tournaments because I'm assuming since you cash so often, you're hurting your chances to score a big win.

I could be wrong about what I said in the third paragraph, but anyway, that's what it seems like.

3:59 PM

 
Blogger surflexus said...

Best of luck in the Million SirF

4:51 PM

 
Blogger Ignatious said...

my two cents from abdul jalib. i can't disagree as he's much smarter than me. :)

--
With very few exceptions, a tournament champion is a mediocre limit hold'em player with a monstrous ego. Tournament-winning
is the path to the dark side. Tournament-winning leads to ego. Ego leads to presumption. Presumption leads to discomposure.

--
Abdul

---


best of luck in the million, sir. you know i'll be rooting fer ya.

10:11 PM

 
Blogger BadBlood said...

Good luck, glad you decided to play.

6:46 AM

 
Blogger katitude said...

"It is hard to be a good humble doobie when you have groupies."

I don't know which part of that feels most wrong...you as humble or you with groupiesLOL!

8:57 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home