Tuesday, April 04, 2006

MTT Bankrolls


Again, nice job. Have a question for you, what limits do you play in relation to your bankroll (cash and tourneys) ?

Congrats !

-- Mookie


HAHAHAH! I love Mookie! Did you not read that was my last 55 bucks.. but when I am being reliable:

10$ and Under with a 1K Bankroll
Start playing a few $20's with a $1200 bankroll..
Take a stab at something bigger every once in a while.

MTTs are so weird and you can go a long time without a cash. It is "usually" a good idea to keep a large amount of padding if that is your only source of income. I guess 100x the buyin is not a bad rule of thumb. I rarely ever play more than 1-2 games a night so I could probably play higher. Since I am a TILT head though I like to keep my loses low in relationship to my bankroll.

I am actually itching to play another 90-person $50 MTT. I think that, as I have mentioned before, small field MTTs are a very good fit for my style. I can wait a little, get close to the final table, then make a couple of moves, and BAM! I am in like Flynn.
I have the most success in <200 person MTTs although to be fair I do not play a whole lot of the other type. I have never gotten first place in a HUGE field, actually scratch that, I did do VERY well in the Party Poker 1$ and 2$ MTTs for a while. I final tabled in a large LHE MTT once also for one of my biggest scores. I would have to say my largest scores have been around 1K. It would be nice to take down a larger event one day and I think I have the skills to do it. Until then I am happy where I am.

** BTW: I am sure other people have good advice, please post it in the comments section.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about cash games ? Oh and it wasn't till after I clicked "Publish Your Comment", that I remembered that you were using your last few crumbs to play in the $50 tourney. However you did say you would be reloading regardless though :)

8:46 AM

 
Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

I play 300/BB (i.e. 1/2 LHE = $600) in LHE Cash games strictly. In NL cash games I hear you want 1K to play 50$ NL/HE. So 20x the buyin I guess..

9:08 AM

 
Blogger L'artiste said...

For limit cash games, I usually move up when I hit 500BB for a level i.e. 2000$ for 2/4, 3000$ for 3/6 and recently 5000$ for 5/10. Why? Comfort. 500 BB will give me more than enough time to adjust to the new level and let me absorb a few losses if need be. I’ve never had to drop down a limit so far thanks to this plan. Besides, I hate the idea of dropping down. After you’ve been dragging in pots worth 100$+, it’s kinda disheartening to think about playing for “measly” 50$ pots.

9:47 AM

 
Blogger Scrawnybob & 4kingpoker said...

cheers for the comment on my blog - now I know I've got at least one reader ;-) added your site to my blog roll, is it called ? cheers scrawnybob - 4kingpoker losses

11:28 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

You wanted some advice...

Stop playing cash games.

Honestly.

When you do play cash games, make it for fun, much like I do when I pony up a tourney fee.

8:29 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home