Friday, October 19, 2007

Asian People Please Forgive Me

I have forsaken the "O" word because I have done some research and figured out this is not acceptable UNLESS I move to Europe and I sure as hell do not want to be a stinking European. Oh crap. There I go getting myself in trouble again.

I had a nice talk with LJ and she explained the difference to me. I swear to whatever deity you all believe in that I had no idea. Her explanation was kind of lacking though. I mean she was like "Oriental is Rugs not People".. which inherently is correct but someone made those rugs didn't they? Was there a long lost race of Oriental people that the Asians hated? I had to do some research so I would not offend my new friend.

I actually do not use the "O" word usually.. Even if I had no idea it was bad. I was influenced by reading some other websites that were using the word. So when I was writing my post it was on the top of my mind.

I mean I think I am winning her over. I believe she is offering to do gratuitous sexual things to me but I am not sure. I had to look up BWOP too.

ckbluffer said...
Waffles wouldn't know about "O" people even if one bwopped on his face.


Sounds like an offer to me??!?!? No? Even if it is not one I think this is a sure sign I am winning her over. So I found a really good article that explained why the "O" word was "O"ffensive. Serves me right for watching Bonanza and old John Wayne movies.

So I am still confused as to how bad of an insult it is. Like does it rank up with the "N" word for blacks? Can other Asians call each other "O"? Like "Heyyyy whassssup O".

Also is it considered bad when I hear people at my table say things like "Freaking LAG Asian bastards!" At least they use the right terminology.

I have no idea. It is impossible for someone as socially retarded as me to ever figure out what is polite and politically correct. I will continue to try and learn and adapt though.

I also found a whole country that is totally politically incorrect. I can not believe George Bush has not bombed these guys yet. I am writing my Congress man now. Sick sick people.

Anyway I hope my new friend will accept my sincere apology and realize I spoke out of ignorance not any kind of degradation of any people. I am an equal opportunity hater and do not hate based on race, creed, color, or any other factors. Breathing is enough. Until later.

8 Comments:

Blogger slb159 said...

Wow, no spelling errors, paragraphs spaced for easy reading and transition is harmonious. This has gotta be a guest post.

4:01 PM

 
Blogger bayne_s said...

Waffles I read this many times:

"ckbluffer said...
Waffles wouldn't know about "O" people even if one bwopped on his face."

This is where written word and spoken word can be confusing.

Is she saying:
"Waffles wouldn't know about "O"
pause people pause even if one bwopped on his face.?"

In which case yes I believe you would "O"

or Is she saying:
"Waffles wouldn't know about O people pause even if one bwopped on his face.?"

4:01 PM

 
Blogger RaisingCayne said...

HILARIOUS! "Equal-opportunity hater!"

I used to have an Asian boss who was the branch manager of a bank, where I was his assistant manager... now and then he would have a customer refer to him as "oriental." Being professional (and customer service / sales-oriented) he NEVER protested. But every single time, he took incredible offense. As soon as the offending customer left the branch, he'd go on a tirade about "oriental" is a f*cking type of food, not a f*cking person!

I never really inquired as to where he found the offense, but simply quickly learned what was PC and what was not. So THANK YOU for the link to the article! Informative.

4:34 PM

 
Blogger kurokitty said...

I don't take great offense to the "O" word, although in my mind it reflects a kind of older, unsophisticated speech.

I don't tend to use the "O" word, but on occasion, in self-mockery or to prove a point, I will say "Chinaman" from time to time.

Our office has an oft-repeated story about another Asian, a female, who objected to the wrong use of that word and of those who didn't use the words "Little People."

One day she mentioned a funny commercial to a stodgy, long-timer in his 60s and he said, "Oh, you mean the one about the Chinaman and the midget?"

Obviously he wasn't trying to tilt her but just wasn't aware that today's spech has changed somewhat.

9:48 AM

 
Blogger Alan aka RecessRampage said...

I personally don't care about being called Oriental. It's certainly not the "N" word for black people or the "S" word for hispanic people. I'm somewhat bothered by being referred to as yellow but then again, I sometimes joke that I'm a twinkie (yellow on the outside, white inside) so I guess I bring that upon myself. I think a "nip" is the worst for me but that's just against Japanese and not Asians in general...

9:57 AM

 
Blogger DuggleBogey said...

I highly recommend the word "celestials," if you want to go old school racist.

You should stay away from "gook," "chink" and "zipperhead" though. Too obvious.

7:06 PM

 
Blogger mookie99 said...

"I'm a twinkie (yellow on the outside, white inside)"

I've been called coconut before...brown on the outside, white on the inside.

9:55 PM

 
Blogger BWoP said...

The interesting thing is that for many years, my mother referred to my brother and me as her "Oriental" children. My mother comes from a family where, for the most part, they weren't exposed to people from different ethnic / racial backgrounds. Her family also uses some rather "dated" terminology. For example, my boyfriend from back in law school is African-American. When my aunt asked if anyone was coming to visit for the holidays, she said, "Yes, CK is bringing her 'colored' boyfriend." I had to beg and plead with her to stop referring to her children as "Oriental" and my boyfriend as "colored." Eventually she understood.

I don't find "Oriental" as nearly offensive as other terms, but I try to take the opportunity to let people know that such term can be offensive / inappropriate when referring to people of Asian descent.

7:23 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home