Monday, September 27, 2004

Perspective

Chris Halverson had a good point about my Dry Spell. Having 2-3 days where your cards do not run well is not a Dry Spell. Last nights 25BB win was the first up night I have had in the last 2-3 days. I could have had a nice up night Saturday but I gave it all back.

Everything is perspective though. I have yet to hit the 2 week to a month bad spell. I have no idea how I will handle it. So far I think poorly. It is good to see some of the tendencies that will kill me if I have weeks of bad cards.

1. I never like leaving a session down. I REALLY need to work on that one. The whole "One long session" thing I buy into but not fully or I would be able to say "It's 12:00, I am down 10BB, time to go to sleep and hit it tomorrow", instead of staying up until 2AM trying to lose some more.

2. Trying to win it back quickly. I did not do the full tilt thing of old where I went up levels. I heard the 2/4 calling my name, but was able to resist. I did try to play a few NL cash games and tourneys when I was down though. You know the thinking. Get a quick pop! Make back what you lost quickly. yadda yadda. This ugly tendency keeps rearing it's head. I just need to keep fighting it.

3. Questioning your play too much is another thing that happens. I think it can be good though. I really do think my game needs some adjustments. If I am heading straight up and not losing at all then I tend to look less critically at my game. Hey, I am winning, right? This is a really bad attitude. Daily wins and loses mean nothing. You should always look at your game critically.

4. Wanting to get back up to the "level you were at" is another one of my tendencies. Once I make (x) dollars I think I deserve to be there. I look at my Bankroll now and I say "I was at $1066, I am now at $925, so I am down". Instead I really need to forget the bankroll and just play the game. If I do that then I will get where I need to be in the long run.

Anyway I give alot of credit to anyone who has gone through a few weeks or months of losing sessions and came out the other side. It takes alot of confidence in your game to do this I think. Just three days of it has me questioning everything. Hopefully people who are going through real bad streaks will remember people like Chris have been there and made it through. You can too.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home